The origins of the Church of the Beata Vergine del Carmine are quite uncertain. The evidence of the presence of an early oratory dates back to 1574. Some centuries later, during the French occupation, the sacred building was used for civil and military purposes. The oratory was returned to the cult only in 1808. This first construction was demolished in 1814 by the will of the owner, the engineer Sante Azzolini. The works for the construction of a new oratory began immediately after the demolition and were brought to completion in 1842, with a further remake by Azzolini and the construction of the bell tower still present. On July 16th of the same year, the building was finally blessed with a grand ceremony.
Ecclesiastical rites took place there until 1911, when the complex fell into disuse. In 1975, when lightning struck the bell tower, the owners auctioned the building for a symbolic amount. The building thus became property of the Parish of S. Antonino. A substantial restoration was completed in 2011 and further work was necessary in 2012, following the earthquake that also affected Ficarolo. These last interventions have brought the Church of the Beata Vergine del Carmine to be definitively usable by the faithful and tourists.
Source: Municipality of Ficarolo site and external sources
Pro Loco Ficarolo
Pro Loco Ficarolo employs its energies in the promotion of the territory, in the transmission of traditions and local historical events.