Despite the troubled vicissitudes that struck it in the late Middle Ages, the Fortress of Ficarolo continued to play an important strategic role for many years. The structure maintained its place until 1664, a year in which a flood of the Po partially destroyed it. A second flood of the Great River, which occurred in 1669, definitively demolished what remained of the fort; leaving only the twin structure of Stellata still intact.
After the Treaty of Campoformio of 1796, in the Napoleonic period, Ficarolo became part of the Department of the Lower Po, first in the Cisalpine Republic, then in 1802 in the Italian Republic and, finally, in 1805 in the Kingdom of Italy.
The Congress of Vienna in 1815 changed the boundaries of the Polesine by moving them over the Po, consequently Ficarolo became part of the Lombard-Veneto Kingdom and, after having been Emilian for almost a millennium, passed into the Province of Rovigo and became Venetian. In 1866, at the end of the third war of independence, the Veneto was ceded to Italy, but the borders with Emilia remained on the Po and Ficarolo therefore remained in the province of Rovigo.
During the 20th century, Ficarolo experienced a period of development despite the consequences of the two world wars. This was due to various activities, among which stood out the presence of a large sugar mill (now in disuse) that provided jobs for many workers and farmers. The remains of this structure are now an example of industrial architecture of considerable historical and technical interest.
The first and second world war left a great mark on the history of Ficarol. Many land and air combat took place in the territory, especially during the second conflict. It is not rare to find in the surrounding fields of the municipality, the remains of military vehicles and various planes that were shot down. Testimonies also tell the presence of many resources on the bottom of the Po, this is due to the German retreat. During this event, many soldiers found death in an attempt to cross the river. Ficarolo was released in April 1945 by the Second New Zealand Company.
In 1951, the great Alluvione struck Ficarolo as a large part of the Polesine. Fortunately, the damage to our municipality was less extensive than in other areas, but no less serious. The calamity caused more than a hundred deaths and more than 180 thousand displaced throughout the province, obviously leaving many economic and social consequences. The first tangible damage was the loss of human lives and the vast majority of jobs. This was followed by a mass emigration that greatly reduced development opportunities. Despite all these adversities, the community managed to get up again thanks to the initiative of local inhabitants and entrepreneurs.
To date Ficarolo still has a fundamental strategic role for culture, transport and production activities. Taking advantage of the legacy left by a thousand-year history, the municipality proudly displays its heritage of traditions, culture and nature.
Pro Loco Ficarolo
Pro Loco Ficarolo employs its energies in the promotion of the territory, in the transmission of traditions and local historical events.